Re: Wiring a real air compressor

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wiring a real air compressor
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 18:24:57 -0500 reply-type=original
Skip,

Most residential wiring consists of two 120VAC circuits and a neutral coming
from the pole (3 wires).  Half of your house is wired with one of the 120 V
circuits and the other half on the other circuit.  You get 240 VAC by using
both circuits.  Does your garage panel have three wires coming into it from
the pole or from your house?  If so you probably already have 240 VAC there.
If you only have two wires coming into the panel then you only have 120 VAC
available.

You need to either hire an electrician or get an electrician buddy to wire a
240 VAC receptacle for you.  It's not hard to do, but there are codes that
need to be followed and then there is the safety factor.  Don't want any
fried listers.

Rick