Re: Wiring a real air compressor

To: "Tannen, Skip" <tannen@babson.edu>
Subject: Re: Wiring a real air compressor
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:32:37 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
If you have 3 wires from the pole, you have 240v.
One is a common (aka ground) it's the bare wire. Now if you have 2
insulated wires, you have 240.
Some older homes only have the single insulated wire and a ground. This
was typical up til the 1930s.
A 50 amd sub panel in the garage will work a 30 amp compressor, even a
40 amp but that only leaves 10 amps for lights and tools. Do NOT exceed
the 50 amp max of the sub panel.
Most subs are 60 amp, are you sure your's is 50?

240 is just 120 twice.
Use 2) 15 amp single pole breakers for a 30 amp 240 volt compressor.
Most compressors are wired direct or if it has a plug, bypass it and
wire it direct.
240 volt switches are another matter, I use my circuit breaker to shut
off the compressor when I am away for any length of time (week or
better) or if you have a leaky compressor, just flip the on/off switch
at the pressure switch on the compressor.
I would not suggest learning basic electricity with 240, at least pick
up a "how to" book or call an electrician.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ