Re: Tire size

To: RBHouston@aol.com, jengfehr@ford.com, spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire size
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:27:44 GMT
"Does anyone...."

affirmatron...this change will increase unsprung weight and thus, will result is
less accelerative ability and "spritely" handling qualities, all else remaining
equal.

However, we are not talking major changes
here....just tiny ones.

....less rpm per each mph....or to put it another way, less wheel revolutions
per mile for any given speed in any given gear (better fuel economy but less
accelerative ability, all else being equal)...just don't ask me by how much!

This larger footprint will also be a little tougher on the suspension and any
unevenness in the surface will be a bit more
harsh. You and the car will more "feel"
uneven surfaci.

Assuming same tire (tread, etc.) and aspect ratio, but one size "up".....most
likely an increase in "grip", at the compromise of a slight decrease in rate of
"turn-in"....not quite as "crisp".

You may notice a tendency to aquaplane
more easily in contaminated conditions. Increasing tire pressure beyond that
given
in the owner's handbook for the stock size
tire recommended will help in this respect,
but the car is light so the tradeoff in this
respect will be greater suspension
"harshness" (rougher ride) over uneven
surfaci.

Again, we're talking real small changes here...nothing major.

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)