Re: beating cars

To: "Rick Fisk" <refisk@chartermi.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: beating cars
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:25:58 -0600 reply-type=response {sentby:smtp 24.15.214.89 authed with dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com} with any abuse report
> BTW, I wasn't pointing fingers at anybody, just asking the question in
general.  I've seen many cases of rental car abuse and always wondered why
some people had that attitude.

I wasn't taking it personally, Rick, I was just pointing out that not
everybody does that. Buddy Palumbo talked about "mechanical sympathy", and
to me it means not abusing the machines; staying within their limits.
Likewise, my parents tried to raise me to respect the property of others as
if it were my own. Can't seem to get over that ;-)

I agree that many people thrash rentals, apparently just because they can.
Then they wonder why their rental car is such a dog and why rental companies
tend to purchase low-end cars without many options. Pretty obvious to me! I
read a magazine article once about the Shelby 350H Mustangs made for Hertz
rental. Even though the company restricted them to "special customers", they
got beat up fast. Tales of cars coming back with a different drivetrain,
cars being raced over the weekend, etc. What a shame!
David Lieb