Repairs underway at long last....

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Repairs underway at long last....
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 02:18:23 -0600

Although the engine isn't out yet, the news
is, I guess reasonably good.

The Midget was towed up to my buddy's shop
today where there is room to work on it. Placed it
up on stands and crawled underneath to check
out the problem....

PROBLEM:
Originally:::  Downshifting to third, it wouldn't
go into gear, then something went bang. At that
point, it went into all gears with or without the
clutch engaged but wouldn't move. No power
to the drive train.

Today:::  As I have been doing, started it up
and noted that again I could move the shift lever
through all gears with the engine running and
the clutch pedal out.  -  Then - surprise surprise,
we rolled it out of the garage to get ready to
hook it up to tow and I suddenly noticed that
now it would NOT go into gear!  I started it up
again and found that even with the clutch
pedal in it wouldn't go into gear with much
grinding of the gears on the attempt.

So that's the symptoms. I had recently replaced
the clutch master and slave so we started looking
for stupidity at that point. Pulling the inspection
plugs from the bell housing and using a small
mirror and mini-lite, we discovered that everything
in the clutch assembly "looked" okay but a small
bit of clutch facing material fell out of the inspection
hole onto the floor.

After much fa#ting around with it, we decided
that the clutch plate may be in bad shape and
somehow jamming between the flywheel and
the pressure plate.

We will pull the engine and take a good look
at the clutch - probably replace it all too.  May
as well when we have it out.  Near as I can
tell, the ribcase appears to be okay. Pulled the
inspection cover and can't see any broken
hunks of gears, dogs or shifter forks....

QUESTIONS:
I was thinking of getting the clutch kit that V.B.
has on sale right now.  I think it's a Borg & Beck.
Any input on this???  Other options without
spending a fortune??

Cheers!!
Jim - whose Midget moved today in Dodge City...
--
1964 R60/2
1968 MG Midget