Re: Wheel Bearings

To: Bob Kitterer <bkitterer@mac.com>, Jim Rogers <jarplanner@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearings
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:53:19 -0600
Cc: "bugeye@yahoogroups.com" <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Jim,
         First, I do not believe a change to roller bearings IS an
upgrade. Most of the cars that I have contact with are using ball
bearings. Stick with that technology, which also means you wont have
to grind the axle nut to fit, you wont have to grind or shim the
spacer, and you get to keep the spacer which, it is argued, aids in
strengthening the axle.
         Now, what bearings? Usual suspects sell a ball bearing with
an uncomfortably (to me) narrow outer race on the outer bearing. It
also has a plastic cage.
         A better, but more expensive, version is from SKF made in
Austria. They will have a brass cage and full width race. Part
numbers from SKF  Outer 7303 BEP...... Inner 7205 BEY
         Hope that helps
Peter C
=========