Re: Tach reduction gear

To: "Woerpel's" <dwoerpel@wi.net>
Subject: Re: Tach reduction gear
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:09:00 -0800
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, bugeye@yahoogroups.com
Woerpel's wrote:

>         After calling Terry Horler a few years back, I found that no
>         one is sure which came first or when the change point came.
>         According to parts book AKD 3566, part # 2A 9105 was used on
>         both the MkI & MkII Sprite(MkI Midget) and W.S.E. (When
>         Supplies Exhausted) part # 13H 632 was used.

OK, in hot pursuit of this piece of esoterica, I looked at all of my
parts manuals, and the one numbered 4302/00 was not illustrated in the
Mk I parts book (AKD 829).  The parts book for Mark II (AKD 1763) noted
that unit change "Com. (C) 11162" and "Fin. (C) 24731".

>         My guess, and that's all it is, is that 2A 9105 is the crimped
>         one with the brass knurled attachment.  I have heard the
>         argument that the brass nut came first but was too expensive
>         so they switched to the crimped.  As for other cars they may
>         have been used in the Morris?????

When all else fails, there is always Google.  A search there shows that
Speedograph-Richfield (England) lists the unit with brass nut as the and
two halves held together with small nuts and bolts as being the latest
iteration, suggesting the knurled connection and band securing both
havles was earliest.  For what it's worth, Speedograph-Richfield
(England-- http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/html/rgb4302-50.html )
sells the item for #75 (about $130).  The one from AH Spares (England)
for $110 has the brass nut, as does the one from Moss for $77.

Oh, and it appears that the only other car that used this unit was the
slower, clumsey, poorer performing, and less desirable AC Cobra.

Buster Evans