Re: metallurgy question

To: Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: metallurgy question
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:41:04 -0800 (PST)
--- Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> My question is, would the finished manifold be less
> likely to crack if the
> manifold is heated up to red heat and cooled slowly

Hi Glen,
Not sure what the geometry looks like, but that is
likely where you can help most - I don't think the
heat cycling will help at all, although it will likely
weed out infant mortality in the welds.  The manifold
needs room to grow (ALTHOUGH...a short duct run is far
less critical). Check your Aircraft Spruce catalog or
similar (maybe pegasusautoracing.com) for an expansion
joint.  The best are ball joints that allow linear
thermal growth as well as angular deflection up to 8
degrees or so.  If you have a decent straight length,
a bellows will do, although they can't take any shear
forces.  The cheapest way is to do an "Omega" bend
(look like an Omega/horseshoe), but space probably
doesn't allow that.  Off the shelf stuff isn't very
expensive, take a look around and see if something is
suitable. Unlimited budget, call Arrowhead Ducting on
Katella Ave in Anaheim.  You have to make sure the
pipe grows how you want it to - make sure if you use a
compression joint it is installed in tension, and vice
versa.  Slotted brackets and loose clamps help with
axial growth as well.

G'luck -
Soave