Re: metallurgy question answered

To: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>,
Subject: Re: metallurgy question answered
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:47:39 -0600
Although this thread is done, I'd like to add some general advice, based on
decades of aircraft work.

We use 4130 chrome moly for most steel work.  It's pretty forgiving, pretty
strong, and readily available in good quality, most commonly as seamless
tube and flat stock.  Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, etc. all stock 4130.  It welds
great with oxy-acetylene, and as has already been noted here, gas welding
tends to minimize stresses because of the slow heating and built-in
normalizing.  However, to be sure it's always advisable to normalize after
the structure is done.

Good gas welding practice should produce decent fillets and after
normalizing, if there's a tendency to crack it's probably a design issue.
BTW - 4130 is typically welded with plain copper-coated mild steel rod, with
a slightly carburizing flame.  If the welds look foamy and there's a great
amount of sparking while welding, you're probably oxidizing the weld.

Good luck !
Karl Vacek