speedometer cable threads

To: "Midgetsprite" <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: speedometer cable threads
From: "Richard Rivenbark" <rrivenbark@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 17:38:16 -0500
Hola list,
I have a question that I am sure one (if not many) of you know the answer
to.  I am contemplating putting an Autometer Phantom speedo in my 74 Midget.
What I need to know is what is the size and thread type on the speedo
connector nut, and what size it the square drive that is on the end of the
shaft.

The mechanical gauge has 5/8"X18 threads and requires a .104" square drive.
It has a 1:1 final drive ration (60MPH at 1,000 RPM input to speedometer
head).   Will this match the stock Midget speedo adapter?

If I go with the electric programmable version, it needs a 7/8"X18 with a
.104" square drive at the transmission to mount the sending unit.

Do either of these match the stock Midget pieces or would I have to have a
custom cable made?

Thanks,
Tad