Re: steering shaft end play

To: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: steering shaft end play
From: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:04:33 -0500
Jim's comment made me think again.   The splined area has machined groove in
it.  The 1/4 bolt I used slid right in.  Did I get lucky and have it aligned
with the groove or doesn't the bolt actually align  in the groove.

I simply pushed the column in as far as it would go (snugged up to the seal)
and put in the bolt.  Peering in the pinch bolt hole I did not see the
splined pinion shaft.  I don't want to damage the splines.

I did take Frank C's advice and used locktite on the bolt.

Phil Nase
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa
Hmmm.  Phil's situation made me go look at mine.  I can't get
any work done today on the Midget because we are having
50 mph winds - tons of airborn dust - and the garage door
would be a sail.