Re: steering shaft end play

To: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: steering shaft end play
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:54:25 -0600
At 04:04 PM 3/12/2006, you wrote:

>Jim's comment made me think again.   The splined area has machined groove in
>it.  The 1/4 bolt I used slid right in.  Did I get lucky and have it aligned
>with the groove or doesn't the bolt actually align  in the groove.
>
>I simply pushed the column in as far as it would go (snugged up to the seal)
>and put in the bolt.  Peering in the pinch bolt hole I did not see the
>splined pinion shaft.  I don't want to damage the splines.
>
>I did take Frank C's advice and used locktite on the bolt.
>
>Phil Nase

Phil,
You said earlier that you had washers there. I would think the PO was
trying to tighten the tubular part onto the splined shaft. Hence my
advise to pin the column to the shaft.I had one pull out once.
Apparently there was enough play that the bolt had rounded internally
enough. The bolt never came out, and the nyloc nut was in place. The
column pulled out just a 100 yards after what would have been an
EXTREMELY inappropriate time. Be safe, use the roll pin, or even a small bolt.
         Peter
==