Re: RPM vs. MPH

To: HTPC@midsouth.rr.com
Subject: Re: RPM vs. MPH
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:28:16 -0600
It all depends on your rear end gearing, your rpm, the size of your
tires.  There are calculators on the web that will give you a theoretical
top speed.  Here is one is use:
http://www.teamhealeytexas.com/Speed%20calculator.htm, but there are
others.  You can often get your tire diameter from the manufacturer's
website or the Tire Rack website.

I clocked one of the race midgets at 103 on the straight at VIR using a
GPS device.  However, I don't remember whether I had the 4.22 in the car
or the 3.9.  If it was the 4.22 the rpms would have been 6500.  On longer
straights we have a theoretical top end of 111 mph at 6500 rpm with a 3.9
rear end.  That is regularly achievable at Texas World Speedway, which
has a very long straight.  Some others I know with beefier engines (mine
is pretty mild) can do more rpms, but who knows what the true story is
and what is just paddock bull-talk.

--David Littlefield