Re: Dual Master w/Ribcase and Front Disc Brakes

To: Mark <mark@nashvilletn.org>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dual Master w/Ribcase and Front Disc Brakes
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:22:15 GMT
Two types of the single res MC, Mark.

Drum brakes used 7/8" bore, later types
used 3/4" which gave greater hydromechanical advantage ("softer" pedal or less
effort).

I am currently using the early 7/8" bore with disc conversion. Which means you
have
to press harder for same effectiveness you
would get with a 3/4".

However, very "doable" and no problems with braking. If anything, the 7/8"
provides
a greater cushion to "lockup" in a panic
stop situation....but IMHO this is a good thing considering "locked" wheels
make for longer distances traveled without the benefit of directional control.

There is about a 1/2" difference in pushrod
lengths I believe, between the two, the 3/4"
application being longer.

Frank Clarici or one of the other more "knowledgeables" can comment on the
effects of this difference, as I believe Frank has interchangeably used both MC
in his Bugeyes/Spridgets from time to time.

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)