RE: Brake fluid question

To: "'Paul Asgeirsson'" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: RE: Brake fluid question
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 05:50:27 -0500
Correct.  They will NOT mix, although they can both be in the same
hydraulic system together.  This does NOT mean that I'm advocating that
anyone drive their car with BOTH types in the system, topping off with
which ever type is handy, at the time.
Although it's been about two or three years since the article (in
Vintage Truck) was published, I seem to recall it stating that, although
silicone fluid doesn't absorb moisture as readily as the glycol-based
fluids (DOT 3 & 4), it will permit moisture within the system (my memory
on this point is a bit foggy).  Bottom line was, however, that whatever
brake fluid you end up using, it is a good idea to replace it every two
to three years (depending on atmospheric conditions where vehicle is
operated/stored), to reduce risk of moisture contamination.
Bud Osbourne