Re: Differential Nut Removal

To: <JMFarley50@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Differential Nut Removal
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 06:53:34 -0800
Hi John,

My 1/2" impact wrench will only sometimes turn off that nut, so I invested
in a 3/4" one.  On a Morris, there's no problem getting the bigger impact
wrench in place, not sure if there is on the Spridget.

Another technique I've used in the ancient past is this.  I had a piece of
2 1/2" angle iron that I drilled 2 holes near an edge in it to match 2
adjoining holes on the dif. yoke.  This made it so I could still get a
socket in place on the nut.  Then with this 4 ft long chunk of metal, one
end bolted up, the other on the floor, I used my long breaker bar to loosen
the nut.  Worked well.

Be sure to center punch the nut and the pinion with adjoining marks so you
can get the nut tightened up again to the same old torque.

The above suggestions are for use with the dif assembly still in the car.
Be sure the car is properly supported with good jack stands.

Paul A