Rubber Dye

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rubber Dye
From: "Bert Shirey" <bertshirey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 17:43:35 -0400
Guys,

     Thanks for the suggestions on that mystery bulb thing. As I said,  my
messages didn`t reach the list the other day. Here`s my two cents worth again
on the rubber dye question:
     Last year  I came across a NOS Bugeye tranny tunnel mat and needed to
recolor it from green (why are all the survivors green?) to black. Having
nothing but time on my hands to find a way to salvage that extravagant impulse
purchase, I did a some of research on how to dye rubber. I called trim and
restoration shops, Eastwood tech service, whatever, and got a lot of
discouraging comments.
    Those prodicts that coat vinyl and plastic no one would guarantee on
rubber.
    Anyway, I eventually found a product called HYPAKOLOR from a Canadian
distributor, used for recoloring inflatable rubber boats, flooring, etc. Not a
dye, but a sort of rubberized coating that supposedly permanently bonds to the
original structure.
     So, this stuff is expensive ($120/ Qt.!) and has to be sprayed on (your
paint gun and compressor) and the mat needed preparation to make it stick, but
the stuff did the trick. The mat looks like it came from the mold black and
hasn`t shown any sign of wear in nearly a year. Even smells like new rubber.
   To be honest,  the Bug doesn`t get much use, but I`m happy with the
results.  Poorer for the experience, but happy.
     To tell the truth, the carpet looked better and was much more
comfortable. I`m not glad I did it. At least I got that out of my system.
    Check PARASOL, Inc. on the Web.

Bert Shirey.
60 Bugeye/  Midget 1098