Re: [ASSn] Huuuum????

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [ASSn] Huuuum????
From: "Bruce Lowry" <egnorant@dctexas.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:05:01 -0500
> Those jobs currently held by "illegals"  would quickly be filled by
> "legals"....and
> maybe at better wages now that the
> labor "playing field" has been "leveled"
> IN ACCORDANCE WITH LAW.

We have been debating this at work.
I usually argue  to make a person defend their position so that they are not
just respewing something they heard.
My current arguement is that "illegal" is not a sufficient argument alone.
Prohibition, Blue laws, gambling, etc. Laws sometimes change!
My sympathies lie with a man who wants to work, but I cannot condone
breaking a law to do it.
BUT, I don't see the jobs being quickly filled.
I put out the word to a local college that I had 5 to 10 hour work for 5
workers at $15 per hour.
Hard work, clearing land, housecleaning, carpentry, basically cleaning up a
house to be sold.
I got no takers from the college.
Put the word out to a buddy who (along with 65 others) had just got layed
off from a local plant (Fleetwood trailers)......got 1 guy!
I even went and listed with the employment office...nothing!
But while talking to a friend in a local restaurant the busboy everheard and
asked to speak with me after his shift.
He is a legal immigrant from San Salvadore going to school to be a dentist.
He said his uncle could get a crew for me.
The uncle called me an hour later and and we met that afternoon at the house
and worked out the details of what I needed done and how much.
I arrived the next morning at 8:00 A.M. to supervise and insure that work
was being done.
There was about 35 people who had been there for 3 hours already!!!
And they were nearly done! 2 old lawnmowers from the site had been repaired
and were being used and an abandoned car ( I had title)was pulled to the
front and ran. My instructions were that these be disposed of,
so I cheerfully made them a gift to the uncle.
House was clean, windows washed, trees trimmed, plumbing repaired, no trash,
everything was nice!!!
I also notice that all but 12 of the crew "evaporated" as soon as I arrived
so I suspect that these were the illegals.
Minor discussion about other cost items needed like light bulbs, window
panes and such and I added $67.00 for his costs. Uncle was ready to include
these in the price but I was so impressed with the work I insisted.

My upbringing makes me respect people who work this hard.
My current theory involves that some Americans will work the system for
welfare and aid to get by
making this work ethic a less desireable choice for them.

Why don't we see groups of Americans on a corner looking for day work?
Is this really a lot different than me buying hand cleaner that is Importado
y Distribuido en Mexico
or "printed in Taiwan" or Distributed by Wal-mart..Made in China! Product of
El Salvador!
These are items that I found without getting up from my computer.
Economic theory gets REAL complicated quickly.
Legal importation of the products of foreign labor or the illegal
importation of the labor itself.
I still haven't actually come down with what is correct...but I am giving it
a lot of study.
But the one thing that I do agree with is that the borders must be regulated
and closed to those who
fail to accept the laws of the United States.
Bruce