RE: Judson See Dee ignition

To: "'Frank Clarici'" <spritenut@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Judson See Dee ignition
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:15:18 -0400
Frank,
While the Judson will give you better (longer) breaker point life, and
provide a better spark at high rpms, it won't work any miracles in the
horsepower department.  I used them for years, on a 356, "back in the
day".  During an engine rebuild, the Judson was discarded, for reason(s)
I can't recall.  Never missed it on that 356, nor on the next two.  When
my current 356 arrived, it had some sort of silly-ass CD system on it,
which I immediately removed.  I don't put enough miles on the 356,
anymore, to be concerned about point life (which was never a problem
with 356 or Spridgets, in the first place), and CD systems have been
famous for going 'pffft' at most inopportune times.
On the other hand, I've never heard of the Judson being called
unreliable, and, in reality, it might show a very slight improvement in
top end performance & fuel economy, under "controlled"
testing/monitoring conditions.  It looks kinda cool, and it sure as hell
won't hurt anything.  And, if it does happen to go "pffft", it's easy to
bypass, and go on one's merry way.
I used to have a couple of them sitting around my workshop, but, of
course, they were 6 volt units.  I guess I should clean them up & take
them to Import Carlisle, and sell them to some Porsche guy for major
cash (anything Porsche 356 related is major cash, these days......please
don't ask me how I know this).
Bud Osbourne