RE: removing glued foam

To: "'Linda Grunthaner'" <grunthaner@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: removing glued foam
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 07:24:59 -0400
Linda,
I'd stay away from the torch.  No telling what type of fumes that stuff
will produce, when heated.  No matter what, there's no quick & easy (not
to mention clean) way of doing it.  If it were me (and, I thank God that
it isn't ;) ), I'd get anything "loose" off with a wire
brush/scraper/wire wheel.  Then, I'd apply a good paint stripper (I use
Tal-Strip, by Mar-Hyde), and remove the resulting gooey mess with a
putty knife.  Oh, yeah, you'll want to remove seats, carpets & trim
panels, 'cause what the paint stripper will do to them is NOT pretty.
Obviously, safety goggles & the appropriate rubber gloves are a MUST,
along with adequate ventilation.
BTW, I've found that I get a lot more "mileage" out of the stripper by
covering it with Glad Wrap, or some other plastic wrap, after I've
brushed it on.  This seems to keep the stuff from drying out, and allows
me to leave it overnight, allowing full penetration, and keeping the
coating from re-setting, as the solvent evaporates (which it can't do,
when covered with the plastic wrap).  For some reason, the stripper (at
least, Tal-Strip) does not attack the plastic wrap.
Have fun, and be careful.
Bud Osbourne