Symton diagnosis

To: "'spridget list'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Symton diagnosis
From: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:36:10 -0400
Well... I've been doing nothing but yard work for two weeks.  I finished
tonight and decided to celebrate with a drive in the BE.
It was running great for three miles.  Since it was all warmed up I started
from 1st and wound it out to about 5k.  Going to 2nd it started coughing and
I lost all the power.  I had good oil pressure and good temps so I nursed it
back home just barely.  I couldn't get up the short hill to my place so I
backed into the neighbors driveway.  It idled normally and revved normally.
No oil blowing out and a quick inspection underneath and under the bonnet
shows no signs of anything abnormal.

Revved it hard and feathered the clutch and limped into my garage.  Under
load it surged and banged and sounded like I was dragging the pipes.  I
haven't put it up yet but could this be the symtom of a blown clutch?  Under
load it wouldn't hold revs past getting to 10 mph and that was ugly.

I may need an OSHIT soon.  I need some tips on where to start the diagnosis
before I pull the engine.  I knew I should have bought that engine crane.

Phil Nase
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa