RE: Symton diagnosis

To: "'Phil Nase'" <nase@ptd.net>,
Subject: RE: Symton diagnosis
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:32:39 -0400
Phil,
Sounds like a fuel starvation issue, since it "ran great for three
miles".
BTW, if it's a stock Spridget gearbox, 1st is best used only to get it
moving from a standstill.  It really isn't a "driving gear" at all, and
will wear out quickly under high loads & high revs.
Normally, I'd always council checking out the ignition system, first,
before moving on to the fuel system.  Although, it's ALWAYS a good idea
to check for loose electrical connections.  When you find a loose
electrical connection AFTER spending hours and dollars chasing other
possible causes, it's SOOOO embarrassing (don't ask me how I know this,
'cause I'll deny any prior knowledge or involvement in any such thing).
Also, could those points have come loose, again?  However, what you
describe really sounds like a fuel supply issue (and NOT a carburetor
issue, assuming you have SUs).  Do you have an in-line fuel filter?
That would be the first place to check.  What fuel pump are you running?
If it's an SU electric pump, you've got the best.  However, they do need
to have clean power and ground connections, and, eventually, their
contact points (under the plastic end cap) can corrode to the point
where they won't always work.
Whatever you do, start with the most basic, simple and obvious stuff.
Usually, that's where you find the trouble is.
Bud Osbourne