Re: Clutch judder or U-joints?

To: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch judder or U-joints?
From: "Larry B. Macy, Ph.D." <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 13:36:35 -0400
Adrian,

You have identified both of the things I would expect. Bad U-Joint
and chattering clutch.

If you remove the drive shaft by disconnecting the diff attachment
plate you can get at the front joint by removing the drive shaft
(note on the later Spridgets, like the 1500, there is an access to
that joint in the floor pan). Removing the driveshaft with out that
access creates a new problem, how to get it back in, but that has
been solved many times. in many ways. Since, I have never done it, i
will let those that have explain.

If it is a chattering clutch the only solution is pull engine and
tranny to swap the clutch. Unfortunately, from your description, my
guess this is the issue.

Now why either of those would cause the car to stall if you try to
take off too fast, I have no idea. That sounds more like a fuel/
ignition problem. But it could be that the clutch is slipping then
suddenly grabbing and you are not giving it enough gas. Again, just a
guess.

Larry

--

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've
never actually known what the question is." - Douglas Adams

believed to be clean.