Re: More Steering Rack Questions

To: "Matt Endicott" <endicar@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: More Steering Rack Questions
From: "David Riker" <davriker@digitalpath.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:33:16 -0700
Caster and Camber are technically "non adjustable" on spridgets.  There are
a couple of ways to fudge the numbers slighty.

To introduce more positive caster ( slight rearward king pin inclination)
you can add one thick washer between the back of the upper control arm
(shock arm).  You may have to enlarge the notch in the upper trunion pin.
It ain't much, but it's something.

Camber is the tilting in or out of the upper edge of the wheel.  The
stability is best when a small amount of negitive camber is introduced.
>From the factory, there is actually a slightly positive camber.  One way to
increase the amount of negative camber is to add aluminum plates underneith
the shock absorber.  Thicker the plates, the more negative camber.  Longer
bolts are then necessary to bolt the shock to the frame.

Mini Mania and others also sell polyurathane offset upper trunion bushings.
The orientation of the hole in the bushing can be changed to allow
adjustment of the actual camber results.

On my car, due to a fender bender,  we were unable to achieve the same
caster angle from side to side, and were able to compensate with fine tuning
of the camber angle.  With much experimentation, it seems like ideally,
there should be about 2 degrees positive caster, 1 degree negative camber,
and 1/8" toe in.
David Riker
davriker@digitalpath.net
http://community.webshots.com/user/fool4mg