Re: Tuning problem again

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Tuning problem again
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 23:46:05 -0500
Phil,

Frank's right on on this. I agree - check the coil first - how old is
it?? Coils don't last forever. Next go to the dizzy. I had one on a
Triumph Herald that worked itself loose. I would tighten it down after
setting the timing - everything was great for about 20 minutes - and
then I had the same symptoms you describe. Go back and check the
timing, tighten it down again and the cycle began again. It took me
about 10 times through this before it dawned on me that the dizzy was
*loose* each time I went to reset the timing!! It would loosen up and
the dizzy would start turning as I advanced the throttle! No locktite
back then - had to bush the bolt with brass to keep it tight!

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City