RE: tiny pin in swivel pin

To: "Joe Lansing" <kidjoevid@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: tiny pin in swivel pin
From: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 06:13:50 -0700
Joe wrote:
"Are there special incantations necessary to remove the
threaded pin that keeps the fulcrum pin in place in
the A-Arm? I've succeeded in mutilating 2 already (off
donor parts) that I'll try drilling out maybe...and
the two off my car are sitting soaking in penetrant.
I've tried heating. I've left the nut on them (backed
off)and gently smacked them with a lead hammer, to no
avail. I've used all the incantations I know. Does
anyone know a special trick?"

I had a bear of a time with the ones from one side of my disk brake
conversion, like most of the parts from that "donor car" I ended up
replacing both pins.  I finally got the stubborn one out with a hammer and
drift pin.  If your swivel pin bushings are shot you will be replacing the
swivel pins anyway, and your fulcrum pins are not too expensive, so just buy
the major suspension kit, and get it over with.  The  thing to be careful
with is the A-Arm.  They are scarce in the rebuilt version and BMIHT new
ones are a bit on the expensive side....

I know "we tight" but this is the steering and front suspension we're
talking about.

While you're at it just throw some more money at rebuilt shocks, and you
know the track rod ends and steering rack want some attention, since you'll
be pulling the radiator to do that you might as well replace it and all the
hoses.  With those things out of the way it's just a little more work to
pull the engine....

You'll have a new car in just a few years.

Hal