Re: Engine Hoist

To: Bud Pazur <bpazur@excel.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Hoist
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:32:48 -0400
Bud Pazur wrote:

> OK - I really want to know how this is done. Seriously.
Drain and remove the radiator.
Remove the dizzy, gennerator, and oil filter from the engine.
Remove the carbs and intake (as 1 unit) and set it on the inner fender.
Tie the exhaust manifold to the steering column.
Now all the extra stuff is out of your way.
Unbolt the tranny, drain the oil, remove the speedo cable and ground strap.
Unbolt the 2 nuts from the steering column side of the motor mount.
Unbolt the 2 nuts AND the 3 bolts on the passenger side motor mount.
Place a thick rag or towel on the steering rack if you don't want to
scratch it.
Place the floor jack under the oil pan with a piece of plywood on the
pad so you don't scratch or bend the oil pan.
Jack it up until the pan clears the cross member.
Now is the time to remove the slave since you can reach it.
Roll the jack forward a bit and jack it up a bit more so the pan clears
the steering rack.
Now the fun part, either balance the engine on the rack and pray for it
to stay there, or have a helper hold it long enough for you to slide the
jack out from the car. Now slide the engine over the rack. the towel
helps with this too, and back on the jack. It fits between the rad
supports with no filter or dizzy. It's out, roll it anywhere you want
while it's on the floor jack.
I have used a jack stand under the tranny to help balance it while I
relocate the floor jack.
I can have the engine out this way by myself before I set up the engine
hoist. My hoist is 1/2 the size of a Sprite so I always have it
dismantled and stored otherwise my 2 car garage would only hold 1 car
and a hoist.
The engine weighs about 250 lbs, it's not that heavy.

And for you Square body Spridget owners....
Unbolt it all, Place a 2x8 on the bonnet latch cross member, climb in
and stand on the shocks, grab the motor mount ears and lift it out with
a grunt. Set it on the 2x8, climb out and slide it down another 2x8
ramp. 2 guys makes this a piece of cake but I have done it myself more
than once when I had a younger back ;)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ