NO LBC - Request for US Army History

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: NO LBC - Request for US Army History
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:01:56 -0400
I suspect one or more of the folks in the Spridget group are WW2 history
buffs. I'm looking for help.

My father passed away in 1965 at age 46 when I was in my early-teens.
Recently an uncle wrote a 4 page history about my dad for my younger
brother and me. That just got me more interested in my dad's history. I
know he was in the army during WW2 - I have his discharge papers. He was in
Battery A- 744th C.A. (AA). I think he was in the first group of GI's that
went overseas on the Queen Mary and I think he might have been at the
battle of Milne Bay in Papua New Guinea. The web history of that battle is
strongly oriented toward the Australians part in the battle. The battle was
significant because it showed that the Japanese could be beaten - there was
some doubt up to that point. My dad's unit was harassed by "Washing Machine
Charlie" a Jap pilot who ran his engines out of sync to frighten the
troupes - as if dropping bombs on them wasn't enough!

I'd be interested in leaning of a document that tells of the locations and
engagements of the 744 during WW2. Anyone know of a good source. I have
requested my dad's service records from the outfit in St Louis MO, but I
suspect that won't be much different than his discharge papers.

Pls reply to me directly - this request is enough non LBC clutter. Thanks!

Tim Collins
Midland, MI
1966 AH Sprite