Diagnostics

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Diagnostics
From: Kristi & Lambert <kristi74midget@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 12:15:46 -0400
        Well once again Lambert and I are having problems with Mini Lee ('74
Midget).  We were driving her on Wednesday and when I got on the
highway she basically cut out on me.  The tach went from about 3000
RPM's to 1000 then back up to 3000 then back down.  I pulled over and
with in a couple of seconds of me pulling over she died.  Of course
we then tried to figure out what had happened.  I was not out of gas,
the car was not overheating despite the almost 100 degree weather.
She just won't start.  We thought maybe she had gotten vapor locked
but after letting her sit and then trying to start her with the fuel
cap off and the next day she still will not start.  We have since had
her towed home again, changed the fuel filter, changed the negative
battery cable (started to smoke a little this morning while trying to
start the car), checked the coil, checked the distributor (found a
cable that was at one time soldered into place (ground wire) fixed
that.  We had a hard time trying to check and make sure we had spark
at the plugs since the new cables have long caps on them we can not
pull the wire and see the spark.  We are lost.  The points and
everything in the distributor look fine, the plugs look fine, the
fuel filter is new and seems to be working fine, fuel pump is
working.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kristi and Lambert
'74 RWA Midget (Mini Lee)