RE: Whew!!!! What a relief!

To: "Brad Fornal" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Whew!!!! What a relief!
From: "James Pickard" <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:43:38 -0500
OK, against my better judgment, I'm going to chime in.  We have a global
economy.  If China or anybody else is competing for the same resource, any
disruption in the supply effects the price.  Oil companies don't set the price.
 OPEC doesn't set the price.  The price is set by the oil futures traders in
places like New York, London, Chicago, etc.  They bid the price up on
uncertainty of supply (war in the Middle East, pipeline or refinery shutdowns,
etc.).

You want lower gas prices?  It is easy.  STOP DRIVING YOUR CAR AND GET ALL YOUR
FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO DO THE SAME.  Prices have risen dramatically with almost
no decrease in demand.  That means even though people bitch about the price,
they are willing to pay it.  Therefore, the product must be undervalued and
higher prices are likely.  Lower demand will drive down prices.  If you are
unwilling to reduce your consumption, then don't expect lower prices anytime
soon.

BTW, I was in Germany this spring and M-B's, BMW's, etc. were cruising the
autobahn at 100+ MPH even with $6/gallon prices.  I suspect it will take a lot
higher prices before demand falls in this country.

Yeah, I'm a geophysicist for a small oil company you never heard of.  No one
had any sympathy for us in the mid-80's when oil was $8/barrel and we were
selling it at less than it cost to produce, and many of my friends lost their
jobs.  So don't expect much sympathy from me now.

Jim Pickard
B9473298 ('65 Tiger)
AN5L/12109 ('59 Sprite)
Lafayette, LA