checking rear 1/4 elliptical springs

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: checking rear 1/4 elliptical springs
From: Joe Lansing <kidjoevid@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 07:15:58 -0700 (PDT)
How can I check the condition of my rear springs? They
are 1/4 elipticals. Right now, with the rims and tires
off, and the drums resting on jackstands, there is
about 2 inches clearance between the bump rubber and
the body. The spot the bumper hits is shiny, like it
has been hitting, but I don't recall ever feeling it.

When I push down on the body it doen't take too much
force to deflect the springs an inch or so. When I sit
my 170 lb on the fender the car goes down a couple
inches. There is only a single rebound, so maybe the
shocks are OK for now.

If I have to replace the springs, I don't want to lose
any height, as I think it could raise tire rub issues
and take my car out of "level." I see Moss only has 10
leaf "rally spec" 1/4 elliptical leafs. Any other
suggestions?

Joe
62 Sprite