More bearing anecdotes

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: More bearing anecdotes
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:31:14 -0700 (PDT)
The other day I said New Hampsire ball bearings (NHBB)
were among the best in my experiences. Today we
finished a 23,000 cycle endurance test on a new
patentable design we're working on (I'd tell you but
I'd have to kill you). The test was a success, and a
customer was there for the last cycle. We decided to
violate one of my cardinal rules and open the unit in
front of the customer. The NHBB ceramic hybrid angular
contact ball bearing was a pile of dust. Well, egg
shaped balls and smeared races, anyway, with lots and
lots of debris. Fortunately, our new design showed it
withstood nasty thrust loads without the aid of a
bearing for some period of time, and the customer was
impressed. We may have preloaded the bearing
incorrectly, but not real likely.

FWIW,
Ron