Re: To Ballast or Not to Ballast...

To: "derf" <derf247@gmail.com>, "Bill L" <pythias@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: To Ballast or Not to Ballast...
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <PAsgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:08:12 -0700
The ballast resister typically will run the full voltage to the coil at
start up, giving a hotter spark from the coil when it's needed.  When it
warms up, might be many seconds or a minute, then you're getting the lower
voltage to the coil and the points.  This is nothing new, Fords had these on
their cars as early as 1932, not that I remember the fanfare when it was
introduced!!

Whenever a Ford was hot and they'd been trying to start the car, it was
common practice to hold a coin over the resistor contacts and deliver the
full voltage to the coil and the car would magically start!  They all
thought it was flooded.

See!  Many years ago lots of fuel problems were electrical!  Nothing
changes!! Nothing's new except all RTV is alike, except for the color!!

Paul A