Re: To Ballast or Not to Ballast...

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: To Ballast or Not to Ballast...
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 23:28:33 -0500
> Anything that lowers the primary voltage helps the contact points.
> The condenser helps keep the system from "back firing" when the
> secondary collapses.

> Ignition coils are by nature resistors.  Are you sure they just don't
> have a higher resistance?  It would seem odd to me to add a resistor
> inside a coil that is already a resistor.  "Internally ballasted"
> doesn't just mean higher coil resistance?
>
> Also, many modern cars have one coil per spark plug.

And just price a new set of plug wires for my 2002 VW GTi VR6 sometime... I
could replace the entire igintion system of a Spridget cheaper than that.

Try running without a condenser and see what the points look like after a
very short time. Makes a huge difference in the longevity of the points.
Running a non-ballasted coil on  full 12vdc doesn't begin to compare.

Yes, I am sure. It would be odd, except that IT IS NECESSARY.
David
ps. how about a price on one of your old HIF6 carbs?