Re: OT Re: Lost bolt, no LBC , but we have all done it

To: "bjshov8" <bjshov8@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: OT Re: Lost bolt, no LBC , but we have all done it
From: "Larry B. Macy, Ph.D." <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:36:23 -0400
HMMMM. at the altitude of the space station, in order to remain at
that altitude, it must also be traveling 18,000 MPH. if it's speed
changes (even one inch per second), it should go higher or lower
depending on whether it is going faster or slower. so if you are
sitting in your garage and you drop a bolt, does it hurt?? Does it
punch a hole in your hide?? I can see the problem if it hits the
shuttle as it approaches at a relative 3 feet per minute, any idea
what happens if a bolt hits you at 3 feet per minute??

Was that a fly??

Only if it goes out of the exact orbit of the station is it a real
issue. Now you wonder why they didn't really get too worried about it??

Nope, only if the relative speed changes will it be an issue. In
order to hit a satellite in a perpendicular orbit, it has to gain
speed to get to the orbit of that satellite, a lot of speed. Where
the station is, they are still in the upper reaches of the atmosphere
and that bolt will de-orbit soon, due to the drag of the atmosphere.
2,700 feet per second creates an impact, but not if the other object
is also traveling 2,700 feet per second. Well unless they are going
in opposite directions ;-)

But then again, it appears they lost another one.........

Larry

--

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu

"Now there is one outstandingly important fact regarding Spaceship
Earth, and that is that no instruction book came with it." --
Buckminster Fuller

believed to be clean.