Re: Running on (Help)

To: "Mike Rivers" <beatlemikey@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Running on (Help)
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:42:11 -0500
> I'm still experiencing running on, or dieseling, when
> I go to shut off the engine.  It only happens when it
> is at operating temperature.  When I shut it off when
> it's not up to temperature, it shuts off ok.  I have
> verified the timing, mixture, point and plug gap, none
> of ythat seems to make a difference at all.  The idle
> speed is as low as it can go (about 900 rpm).

As dnaniderf suggested, pulling a plug lets you see a little piece of the
inside of the combustion chamber. Lean can also do this, so double-check the
mixture hot.

Some vintages of MGB like my 1973 had a solenoid valve that opened when you
turned off the ignition so that it would allow additional air into the
intake and limit the run-on.
David Lieb