Hinge measurement check

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Hinge measurement check
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:28:28 -0400
One of my bonnet hinges cracked between the hinge pin and the mounting
plate. I welded the tear and now I notice that the dimension from the 3/16"
alignment hole to the center line of the hinge pin are different from one
hinge to the other. The obvious solution is to make the repaired hinge the
same dimension as the other. But, I am wondering if the "good" hinge is
dimensionally OK or if it may have bent when the other hinge broke?

The measurements I took are:
Hinge 1, C/L of 3/16" alignment hole to C/L of hinge pin = 7 1/2"
Hinge 2, C/L of 3/16" alignment hole to C/L of hinge pin - 7 11/16"

There's probably enough room in the mounting slots to take up 3/16"
difference from one hinge to another, but I also have to adjust in another
dimension. When the bolt end of the hinge is held on a flat surface the
distance from the flat surface up to the C/L of the hinge pin differs too.

I'd just like to have two hinges that are the same - seems it would make
alignment easier during re assembly.

If you have some hinges laying around, I'd appreciate a dimensional check.

Thanks

ps. I assume the gasket on the bolt end of the hinge is just to make it
easy to slide the bonnet around during assembly. What kind of material was
used?

Tim Collins
Midland, MI
1966 AH Sprite