Re: Skeptic foiled

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Skeptic foiled
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:25:46 -0500
At 11:52 AM 10/18/2006, Robert Duquette wrote:

>So, what did you find?  Smoke?  Darkness?  Or might 'foil' be the clue?
>
>RD

A coil of foil.... 20 feet long!, insulated by a Saran(tm) wrap
stuff.  Reason I took it apart, other than my curiosity having a
vacuum leak and coming rapidly off idle, was that there's been a
spate of failed condensers of late. I grabbed this new one, and
whilst gently (I thought) uncoiling the wire, it pulled out! WTF?
(wire that failed) Inside is a petty wonky connection for the lead to
a brass disc that sits over the foil coil. No solder, just a poor
crimp. No wonder people are having prematurely burning points, and
coils on the fritz.

Slow day on the list, no?

Peter C