Re: Skeptic foiled

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>,
Subject: Re: Skeptic foiled
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:26:46 -0500
> A coil of foil.... 20 feet long!, insulated by a Saran(tm) wrap stuff.
> Reason I took it apart, other than my curiosity having a vacuum leak and
> coming rapidly off idle, was that there's been a spate of failed
> condensers of late. I grabbed this new one, and whilst gently (I thought)
> uncoiling the wire, it pulled out! WTF? (wire that failed) Inside is a
> petty wonky connection for the lead to a brass disc that sits over the
> foil coil. No solder, just a poor crimp. No wonder people are having
> prematurely burning points, and coils on the fritz.

Very interesting... This past year I have had more motherboards fail
because of dying electrolytic capacitors than I did in the previous 20
years. Just out of warranty, of course. I have a couple models of
boards that I can count on replacing all of the 1000mfd caps on the
motherboard. Yes, I do actually pull the board out, un-solder the caps
and solder in new ones. Now I start my diagnoses of "strange problems"
by opening the case and examining the electrolytics for leaks and bulges.
David Lieb