Re: Square Arch Tire Clearance

To: John Caffrey <jdc6@lehigh.edu>,
Subject: Re: Square Arch Tire Clearance
From: Martyn Ridley <ridleymj@bis.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:42:57 -0400
First off, I don't plan on a lecture on how to size a tyre, but I trust you
do know how to get the rolling diameter and contact patch based on the tyre
size.

You Square body guys with 1/4 elliptical springs should be very
careful.  The axle on the 1/4 elliptical spring cars moves about a whole
lot, fit bigger tyres at your peril!  What looks good standing still can be
very dangerous under heavy cornering.  No, even the Panhard rod is not good
enough to hold the axle in place.  Bias ply tyres broke away a lot quicker,
but the current 'sticky' radial can generate quite a twist.

Cheers,
Martyn