RE: AH Spares

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: AH Spares
From: "Dan Gillitzer" <danginah@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 22:55:16 -0500
I used them a few times when restoring the Sprite. They were OK, no great fan.
I kept using them for interior vinyl stuff because I was worried about color
match. The interior panel kit didn;t include the vinyl to cover the rear
cockpit trim piece, just the dash piece like a Bugeye. They did make good on
that, which was tough because that trim piece is wider than the fabric, so had
to be done at an angle. I convinced them of that and they had to send a pretty
large piece, but they did it. I'm always suspicious when that happens that
they're really just trying to cut costs and see if someone calls them on it.
Biggest problem I had is they didn't know that the car I had (Mk2 948) has the
same seat cover as a Bugeye, I think what they sent IIRC was a Mk2A (1098)
cover, that's when they decided the Sprite and Midget should share covers
instead of having different covers. I was back and forth with them for I think
2 weeks trying to get this through their heads, super frustrating. Then on my
dime I had to ship the incorrect covers back to them, although to some big AH
(big healey) restoration joint on the east coast, not back to England. Two
other quick disappointments I can think of, is the part catalog "shows" what
looks to be a correct dimmer switch, and I ordered it and wasn't even close to
correct (not that I expected NOS, but sheeesh didn't even use spade
connections, you strip the wire and it clamps down under a screw), and also
was going to try the door cockpit cap (molding) and it has to be essentially
what LMC sells as it was "cut to fit the door", but at least LMC TELLS you
that in their catalog. I didn't even use it, went ahead and had mine redone.
Same with the dimmer switch, eBay finally came through with a Lucas.
On the pricing, pretty much break even. If the currency exchange is good, you
MIGHT save enough to cover the extra shipping. Customer service was spotty at
best. Just took forever in most cases to hear back from them. Funny emails
though for "a yank", "we regret to inform you" or "we are pleased to inform
you", pip pip, cheerio, all that rot. Give me PPP any day!
Dan