Re: Clunk

To: bushwacker4@zoomtown.com
Subject: Re: Clunk
From: Dave Carpenter <d.carpenter7@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:47:37 -0500
Ours were so bad, you could move the rank fore and aft by hand without a
pry bar. I replaced ours in the car. Dropped the pan and did the rod
bearings and thrust washers at the same time. Didn't write it up,
someone else maybe.

Dave

bushwacker4@zoomtown.com wrote:
> Put your pry bar between the frame member under the steering rack and push
>against the crank pulley to move it as far back as you can. You might even see
>it move while you do it. The tolerance is pretty small so if you do, you have
>a problem. I think the max is .006 but check a manual to be sure. There was a
>person on the list who did a thrust washer replacement with the engine in the
>car. He wrote a step by step instructional piece but I don't think that I have
>it . You might search the archives or put a call out to the list. If my memory
>is any good it might have been Chris King???
>
> ---- Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Wow, thats a good one.
>> I think you may well be correct - somehow that jives with the noise and
>jolting.
>> As far as checking it - if you pry against the crank pulley aren't you
>pulling the crank to the front of the car?  I assume you put the crow bar
>between the pulley and the block, or did you mean someplace else?
>> Many thanks for this idea - I'll get the wife to help me out tonight!
>> Cheers,  Adrian
>> PS.  Can these thrust washers be replaced from the bottom of the car after
>removing the oil pan?

>>> Kent
>>> 1960 Bugeye
>>> 1975 Midget - some day auto-x-er
>>> 1973 TR-6 - no longer leaking gas into the trunk!