Re: No LBC - Miata Recommendations

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No LBC - Miata Recommendations
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 07:16:02 -0600
Jim,
Trish has a 1990 5-speed.
Avoid 1990 and 1991 because of the "short-nosed crank" problem.

The automatic sucks a lot of the pep out of the engine, especially in a
Miata which was never any peppier than it needed anyway. If you want an
automatic, get a 1994 or later so you have the 1.8 engine with more torque
than the earlier 1.6 engines.

94 and 95 give you the 1.8 without giving you OBDII. This means you have
fewer options for reading the codes, but you also have much more leeway for
modifying it and still passing emissions tests, since 96 and beyond will
automatically fail you if the OBDII is not happy. Not a big factor in her
case, I am sure.

There was NO 1998 Miata. There was a fire at the factory and they were in
process of changing the body style.

The 1990-1997 Miata is known as the NA and is noted for the "barn-door"
headlights. Some folks prefer them some won't touch them. Drive one at night
before you decide whether you like it or not.

The 1999-2005 is the NB; different curves, heavier body. Still lots of fun.

In 2004-2005 they made a "MazdaSpeed Miata". This was the only factory Miata
with a turbo-charger. It also came with some suspension enhancements, fancy
rims and tires and some other stuff. General opinion is that it does not
give you as much power as an aftermarket turbo, but it did keep the factory
warranty. I found the ride a bit harsh, but another set of tires would
probably cure it. Not available as an automatic, so I was wasting your time
telling you about it.

2006-2??? is the NC; 2.0 engine, more power, drive by wire accelerator,
interesting.

Once they finally caught up a little with demand (1994?), they started doing
"special editions". There are MANY different special editions, frequently
only available for one model year. Seldom worth more used than stock, except
the 1995 R. I doubt that any of them were automatics. Just don't let someone
tell you that this one is worth so much more because it is a special edition
unless Miata.net agrees with them.

Do some research on www.miata.net They are a bunch of pricks in many ways,
but it is a good site for research.

She really wants a 5-speed, she just doesn't know it. I would rather she got
the automatic than an OTM (other than Miata), but it is NOT the same as a
5-speed.

I am sure that a new automatic on the 2-liter NC Miata is much better than
the older ones, but the price is significantly higher, too. Don't forget
that one of the options (around $1800?) on the 2007 is a "Power Retractable
Hardtop". Very tempting...

David Lieb
1972 pre-Miata