Re: It is too tight

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: It is too tight
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:44:11 -0800 (PST)
--- Joe Lansing <kidjoevid@yahoo.com> wrote:
> the main bearings. I just gave the crank a visual,
> and
> replaced the main bearings with the same size. Is
> there some step to size them I missed?

Take the crankshaft, put a micrometer on the bearing
journals, measure OD. Place bearings in the bearing
caps without the crank in place, tighten to torque.
Take an ID mic, measure the bearing ID (it will be
very slightly egged). Subtract OD from ID, divide by
2. Notify machine shop if discrepant. I don't use
plastigauge. FWIW,I have found thrust washers to be
too tight on at least 2 1275s, and have never found
too much crankshaft endfloat on any A series I've ever
taken apart (the reverse is also true on a 1500).

Ron

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited