Re: Cotter pin / Taper Pin

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: Cotter pin / Taper Pin
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:44:14 -0500
I had the same problem with a new kit.
1 pin just would not go.
Not to mention one of the king pins was bent.
This was a new QH kit but I did buy it from a vendor in Carlisle who
happened to have about 100plus QSK-136 kits.
Something tells me he ended up with all the defective kits.
1/2 the kit was perfect, one pin was truely bent because I found out
trying to put the trunion on. I also tried a couple other trunions.
So I took it to my machinist and he checked it out.
It was bent. And I untaped the box which looked like it was taped up in
1975 at the factory.
I used a different king pin and used tapered (cotter) pin and all is
fine. The used cotter dropped in the hole per the book.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ