Re: Cotter pin / Taper Pin

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cotter pin / Taper Pin
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:09:47 -0500
At 06:22 PM 1/8/2007, Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>I've just had problems with the cotter pin / taper pin

I bought a Kingpin "kit" which included the taper pin. For some reason, I
have long forgotten, I also bought some extra taper pins. The kit taper pin
fits just fine. The other pins do not fit. Here's why:
kit pin is .246 at the top and .197 at the bottom over a distance of 28/32"
Replacement pin is .248 at the top and .2156 at the bottom of the taper,
but the taper is only 21/32" long

So the tapers are much different. The diameter of the "good" pin is .002
smaller than 1/4" while the "bad" pin is 1/4" "spot on" as they say. Looks
like you must "file to fit."

This info may already be on Ed's "Hall of Fame/Shame" web site. Don't
remember where I bought any of this stuff.

Tim Collins
Midland, MI
1966 AH Sprite