Cotter pin

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Cotter pin
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:04:17 EST
Hi List,

Thanks for all the replies I received on the cotter pin that secures the
fulcrum pin to the king pin.

I'm almost ready to re-assemble that part of the suspension but have the
parts off the car.  What I did was slide the fulcrum pin into the king pin
WITHOUT
ANY PART GOING IN THE WISHBONE.  I figure I can jiggle everything around and
wiggle the cotter pin.  If it goes in ok then when I come to fit the parts to
the wishbone and do the same thing I'll know it will fit in OK and if it
doesn' then it's badly aligned.  However, with all the parts on the garage
floor
AND WITHOUT ANY PARTS GOING IN THE WISHBONE the cotter pin does NOT pass all
the
way through.

So, the conclusion is that the cotter pins I've bought (or at least the first
one I tried from a batch of 3) will NOT fit correctly unless it's filed.  Of
course the problem could with the fulcrum pin but either way there is an
alignment issue rather than my being hamfisted.

Regards

Daniel1312