Where to go for parts?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Where to go for parts?
From: Robert Weeks <lists@woozy.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:20:42 -0500
I really appreciated the recent blast cabinet discussion. I was going to
order a cabinet for HF but after reading the posts and checking out TIP
I found a cabinet that is only slightly more expensive and hopefully
considerably better. ( http://tinyurl.com/28hnzc* )* I'm hoping that
coupled with Frank's bong and my 5hp compressor will be sufficient for
wire wheels and small parts.

Now what I'd really like to know is where to get parts for my car that
will last more than a few months. I noticed yesterday that the piping on
the seats I reupholstered shortly before I parked the car was cracking.
The passenger seat which has the worst cracking was sat in for maybe a
total of 10 hours max.

I ordered an ignition switch from VB last week and paid their extra
expensive 2 day shipping so it would be here for last weekend and of
course it is the wrong switch for a 69. They show the switch on one page
as being correct for 65-67 spridgets and on another page as the correct
switch for 68-69 spridgets. Upon closer inspection of the catalog it
seems these both have the same part number (8-404). What I got received
seems to be 8-404 with 8-396 (lock) already installed When I called to
ask about it, specifically how to remove the lock since that won't work
for the 69, they said that they don't have any tech staff there and they
don't know anything about it.

I also ordered a new complete clutch master - slave cylinder setup from
them at the same time and the master cylinder fits but it looks nothing
like the original (plastic reservoir and cap).....

I could go on and on with parts I bought from Moss & VB that didn't fit,
didn't last, etc.. but I think everyone here has heard it all before.
I'd like to do this stuff once and be done with it, not over and over
again every 1 - 2 years.

So where do those in the know go for quality parts that fit and last?

On a happier note I got the Midget started for the first time in 5 years
this weekend. All I had to do was drain and replace the fluids, rebuild
the fuel pump & the weber carb and install the Crane XR700. ;-)

It still won't move under it's own steam though. When I went to bleed
the clutch I found that the slave was shot. With the help of a friend I
got the new clutch master and slave & flexible hose installed out in the
freezing cold yesterday but I haven't finished bleeding the clutch yet.
I was definitely not thinking kind thoughts about the person who decided
to make the access port for the slave cylinder so small and sharp edged,
especially when it came to threading the upper slave bolt... having this
gent drawn and quartered kept creeping into my thoughts

Maybe next weekend it'll be back on the road. Now unfortunately its time
once again to make the doughnuts..........

Thanks,

Robert