bearings

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: bearings
From: john.dagostino@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 14:41:26 +0000
Hi.
Spring will be here soon, so I figured I better look into the low oil pressure
problem on the Sprite. Yesterday I removed the pan to examine the bearings. I
found the oil pickup tube was loose where it screwed into the block, probably
not good. Lots of gook in the pan too, no big pieces though...
The center main bearing wasn't too bad, just starting to wear through, the
journal looks fine too, no scoring.
So, can anyone offer any tips on replacing the bearings in-situ? Can the thrust
bearings be done also?
I guess they are standard bearings, since there are no markings other than AEG
158 on them. It's a 1968(1275).

Thanks,
John