Re: bearings

To: Paul Asgeirsson <PAsgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: bearings
From: James Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 12:15:44 -0500
I was just thinking last night about former car repair adventures with
my father, and we had at times replaced main bearings with no serious
engine disassembly.  This is a lost art, I believe, because so few cars
in later years will allow pan removal without engine removal.

This is not the best fix, however, and will only forestall the eventual
rebuild, but for the adventurous, it's worth a try.  And it's cheap.

You would want to know first whether the crank has ever been ground, in
order to know what bearing size to use.  But if unknown, you must start
with standard.

The technique uses a dowel in the oil hole of the crank surface,
protruding up just enough so as to catch the edge of the bearing.  Going
the appropriate direction, it will rotate the bearing around and out.
Probably want to loosen the other two when doing this, and spark plugs
out, etc.

New bearings install the reverse of disassembly.

Plastigage is then used to determine what you did for clearance.  Of
course, I would begin with a plastigage check before doing anything
before you condemn the bearings.

Plastigage will tell you right away if the crank was ground undersize by
some PO.

Also, we used to put steel shims under stock and/or worn bearings to
adjust for the wear.  Really cheap.